The Big Picture for the Week of August 30, 2009

A little fun.

1. Yesterday’s appearance on CNBC for those that missed it. Clickity

2. Good post: I’ve taught at the community college and college levels and while it takes some effort to translate expertise into adequate learning experiences — have to give some thought to how you came to know what you know and whether there might be a more efficient (and possibly enjoyable) way a newbie could productively approach that knowledge — it’s quite rewarding albeit not necessarily in (ahem) strongly pecuniary terms.

BillB: Thanks for posting the link. Good comments there too Roger, if you keep this sort of thing up you could make a living at it …oh wait. A question though, can you hear all the participants? Might react a tad more if you can – for some reason the ‘camera’ flips between single and multiple panes and while the reporter/interviewer is experienced and always shows ‘interest’ other, non-speaking participants can suddenly show up w/ no or an unengaged expression on their face. No biggie, your answers were very good and you reacted well to the interviewer’s “right turn,” just thought I’d mention it.

WRT AIG, we’ve talked about the distinction between longer/strategic and shorter/tactical duration approaches before but it’s worth repeating now and then because it is so useful. My strategic accounts have certainly been lagging the past couple months (lot of slower moving, longer duration pieces there, portfolio beta kept at about .5 since preserving capital is primary) but tactical/trading accounts have compensated. Did consider working the financials but zombies and vampire squids give me the heebie-jeebies. Fortunately plenty of other plays such as Ford were available (got in w/ an average price of $1.38 there, took profits on half the position and am letting the rest run w/ trailing stops).

3. my wife and I had a good knee-slapper on the one shot where i could not have possibly had an emptier expression on my face.

4. Following on RW’s comment–I taught for a time as an adjunct after I retired. The first time through each class is difficult and time-consuming. My mentor at the university described my remuneration as a labor of love; I earned WELL under the minimum wage and, of course, had no benefits either. When the budget crisis hit and dried up funding at state universities, I didn’t shed any tears. Still, it’s rewarding when former students contact me and I feel like I’ve made a difference in their lives.

5. With today’s politically correct expectations within public education, I wonder if true expertise in any field is required to move up a ladder. Or, is not rocking the boat and going along with social and “showing up” promotions more important?

Submitted by,

A survivor of many years feeding at the pubic education fountain of largesse.

Your three minute video hits the basics of living below your means and it is free! Or, you can check out the SNL video advocating the same:

I know this site is for folks looking for investing info, but mint.com is a great site for budgeting/net worth tracking. And, it is free. Or, you could just spend less than you make and not waste time tracking your expense.

Good segment on CNBC. Maybe you can share with us readers how your appearances are scheduled and produced. Haven’t seen any satellite trucks in Walker recently!
    Thanks

8. usually i get an email between 5am and 6am asking if i can be on that day (i’ve only been on closing bell).

if it works out then I have to go to a studio in North Phoenix. No one in Prescott has “uplink” capability. Amusingly Joellyn’s very good friend works in a sutdio here where they make local commercials so they would be the one to have the equipment but but the expense would never be paid off from my occasional appearance.

it takes half the day away doing it so if I were an A or B lister then something would have to give somewhere but being in the “D” rotation means it is not a problem.

The Big Picture for the Week of August 30, 2009