New Years Eve!

A short post as there is a lot of football work today.

I received an invite to go to an NYSE bell ringing ceremony for GlobalX for the middle of next month. While I won’t be making the trip I was curious to see that on the invite they listed all of their Chinese sector ETFs including the Materials Sector ETF which will have ticker symbol CHIM.

That fund is not out yet so the invite makes it seem like it could be out by January 20, we’ll see. I mention it because I think it has potential to be one of the more interesting of the bunch. Chances are that Jiangxi Copper (JIXAY) is going to be a big holding. I would also expect Shenhua Energy, which is a big coal company to be another. It will be interesting to see if the fund takes an agricultural turn, there are quite a few stocks in the industry in China so we’ll see.

Along the same line I found a site, via Seeking Alpha, called Top Foreign Stocks which has a little commentary but a lot lists of ADRs from various countries, both NYSE and OTC, as a database of sorts. There were a couple of omissions I noticed but it would be very difficult to capture every single ADR. Also their lists so far are just ADRs not ordinary shares.

The latest article in the Seeking Alpha Positioning For 2010 series was out yesterday. It is a writeup from Michael Johnston from ETFDatabase. It lists 10 ETF that ETFDatabase thinks “present compelling cases for investment in the new year.” I’m not sure whether the site is more about reporting news, which they do a lot of, or if there is some sort of money management tied in as well point being I am not sure what is behind the recommendations. Not a knock, I just don’t know but the article is worth reading.

Did you see Idaho’s last second come from behind win against Bowling Green? Wow, the blue turf is like magic.

1. I couldn’t help but see the irony in Bowling Green losing on a blue field.

Question, maybe for halftime–what do you make of the very steep yield curve, which Bespoke notes may even be at record levels?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

2. so the easy answer is that it is good for financials. however as we are collectively arguing about whether the banks are actually lending and whether people are actually deleveraging and having questionable results from the RE market and the threat of off balance sheet items having to moving onto the balance sheet potentially fouling up capital ratios I am no buyer of US banks.

if it does mean something positive for the US economy then other parts of the US market can do well as can other countries that are healthier.

3. Hi Roger:

Perhaps a bit off topic, but I am wondering what your thoughts are on Master Limited Partnerships as a diversification tool (am thinking AMJ ). Thanks and wishing you and yours a healthy and happy New Year!

Andrew L.

4. MLPs are generally a good hold from a diversification standpoint. I am not a fan of products for the space as opposed to individual names. there are plenty of names with long track records that give an idea of which ones are volatile and which ones are not so that you can choose what makes sense for you. like all things I would want to go small and if you have not done so already you need to learn about K1 forms and decide whether that is a concern for you or not.

5. Assuming no major shocks (including $USD) the next couple quarters in the US look okay: Better than okay if you focus on industrial production; less than okay if you focus on employment. I figure we’ll see if the pump priming really worked by Q2 or whether a second recession is in the offing. FWIW I’m standing pat at net long for now but w/ trigger finger ready.

NB: Interesting chart at http://tinyurl.com/yhln3zn shows manufacturing loss is not, as rumor had it, the major issue in the US it is the loss of manufacturing jobs that is really consequential: The growing gap between rich and poor in the US is, not surprisingly, reflected in the growing gap between capital and labor. Would be nice to see some change to that dynamic that did not involve a reduction in productivity but don’t see it myself.

Regardless, wishes for a healthy and prosperous (and lucky) New Year to all. Excelsior!

6. In Europe we quote Napolean Buonaparte when he sayed it is better a lucky General than a good General. Roger, you had a peece about returns since march 2009 and losses. Luckey, I have not had that many losses, very, very few and Year-to-Year non losses. But I feel that I do not know much about the market, therefore somewhat lucky. Recently, RW, I picked up a cycle book that is getting me up the speed what I should know. “Business Cycles” by Tvede. One think that I notice is that some of these losses where on bad stocks and when I stuch with good stocks(good fundemental) I did OK.
    Want to thank you Roger for your blog, I know that I am a better investor/speculator today than before I read your blog. I hope in the future I do not have to rely on luck as much and rely on knowledge. Gread participation from RW, Mike C., Clive, Bill B., SD and many other participants.
    Happy New Year all!
    Jeff from Milan, Italy

7. The bull looks to be a live and well. Predicting whether it will last 6 more months or 24 more months is not something that I think someone can do. Although, I would guess it lasts longer than people expect (actually that is already true for many). Unfortunately for most this will remain a jobless recovery and that should continue for a number of years.

8. Hi Roger
    I am the author of the site “Top Foreign Stocks” and a contributor to Seeking Alpha.Thanks for mentioning my site in this post.

I am really honored by your kind words.I plan to add more info on foreign stocks in 2010.

I visit your blog daily though I haven’t posted comments.I enjoy reading your posts. One of the posts I liked many months was the one on Swiss company Kuehne + Nagel.I always wondered about this company ever since I saw their huge warehouse by the railway track in Toronto, Canada.
    Thanks for maintaining this great site.

-David

9. Jeff, thank you for your contribution here and may you have a healthy and happy 2010.

David, thanks for stopping by. I realize the potential ludicrousness of my next comment to you but is what you do possible with ordinary shares as well?

New Years Eve!

A short post as there is a lot of football work today.